Saturday, 31 January 2015

Sharon's Week 4: Dot, Dot, Dot


Abstract in the Kitchen

I learned today that when I can't get warm after coaching skiing, I can hang out at the pool...that'll warm me up really quickly.  Levi hasn't taken swim lessons for years so I had forgotten how warm the watching area is.  My bouncy friend Mya from Timmins is in town for a swim meet so I headed to the pool to watch her.  I have watched her brother Lucas play hockey many times when he played here but for some reason I have never before seen Mya swim.  I was totally impressed...she swam four races in less than an hour and a half and one of them was a 400m distance.  Ah, the energy and determination of youth!

I initially thought that this week's topic would be a piece of cake...I've done lots of kitchen stuff  before and I love my macro lens.  But I had trouble coming up with new ideas.  I stared in my cupboards and drawers over and over again but kept coming up empty-handed.  I ended up reproducing a couple of ideas I have done in the past and settling for only two new ideas.  All in all I was more frustrated than excited with this week's shooting.

The preponderance of dots was not purposeful.

As I was digging through my utensil drawer, my lemon squeezer caught my eye.  I had the idea to shine light through the holes and this is my favourite of all that I came up with.


My Aunt Irma had thrown herself a birthday party several years ago.  All the aunts and cousins (and my dad) were heading to Indianapolis to celebrate her 70th.  My cousin decorated these wineglasses for everyone with their names on the bottom.  In the end I was not able to attend due to having jury duty (lucky me!) but two wineglasses made it back to me anyway and they continue to be my favourites.


I wanted to photograph colourful reflections on metal but I have done the cheese grater before.  This is the side of a kitty cat cookie cutter.


Anybody need a wooden skewer?


I didn't have a wide variety of foods in the fridge yesterday that I thought would look abstract close up.  This grapefruit was the most interesting (and yummy).


I ended up doing the grater again anyway.


I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has in their kitchens.

5 comments:

  1. Very colorful Sharon! I love the grapefruit shot, the grater is always nice and the lemon squeezer are my favorites. I love the texture in the skewer shot and the color is also lovely on the cookie cutter. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lemon squeezer shot is awesome! I'm a little embarrassed that I posted mine now. I also love the cookie cutter and the grater. Fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Sharon!! The cookie cutter photo is so colourful. Another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first two dot photos and the skewers are my favs for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, your pictures put mine to shame! All so well done - every single one! Great colours!

    ReplyDelete