Saturday, 17 January 2015

Sharon's Week 2: A Rainbow of Possibilities

Monochromatic

Since I felt like a bit of a camera slacker last week I decided to overachieve and try to get a monochromatic shot of every colour of the rainbow, plus a couple of others.  I began the week with a trip to Michael's to get some more paper for matching backgrounds.  I ended up wandering for quite some time because they have a bunch of aisles that are arranged according to colour.  I figured if anything was cheap, I could use it.  I picked up a couple of things then headed to Bulk Barn for some more colour.

I wonder if we all see colour in the same way.  What affects how we see colour?  Of course there are the obvious things like the background around an object, the status of the sun and if anything is reflecting onto to object.  But is there anything about ourselves that also affects how a colour is perceived.  I am not looking for actual answers...I am sure that tons has been written on this topic.  I mention it only because this is what I was thinking all week as I made these photographs.

I ran into two hurdles:  first, I struggled to identify actual colour in a couple of cases and second, I felt like all of my photos were kind of the same (piles shot from the corner with side lighting).  I did not have the time or ideas to change anything so there is a bit of similarity going on here.

My favourite is this red shot.  These are pink peppercorns and I am looking forward to putting them in my pepper mill.


This one gave me pause...I wasn't sure that paprika was actually orange.  The background paper could also have been mistaken for brown.  I guess the bright afternoon sunlight decided to work in my favour.


These Jelly Belly candies were very yummy.


While I was at Michael's I picked up some green ribbon not knowing what I would use it for.  Fortunately Levi's birthday is next Friday so I picked up his gift and some green wrapping paper.  I can't tell you what's inside in case Levi actually reads this.  By the way, green is my favourite colour and I miss my green Jeep.


We have lots of sugar cookie decorating stuff left over.  Levi wants more cookies rather than cake for his birthday so hopefully we can use some of this.


Michael's had these cheap craft beads in three shades of purple so I picked them up.  I tried for a long time trying to position them in some sort of cool pattern but nothing was living up to my vision.  This is not great but it is purple (or mauve, if you like).


That's the end of the rainbow but I also included brown.  This one was really difficult.  What colour is a pretzel really?  I put one against four different colours of brown and none of them felt "monochromatic" so I started to wonder if pretzels are actually brown.  I decided to just pile them up and avoid the background altogether.  Boring, but brown (I think).


And finally, a little dream in black and white.  This was shot in colour...it's a white wood piece on grey paper.


6 comments:

  1. Great job. The blue, green and purple are my favs along with the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them all! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I love these pics Sharon! Very well done and creative with the colours of the rainbow idea! The yellow Jelly Belly candies one is my favourite. You've outdone yourself again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have outdone yourself. A challenge upon a challenge and nailed very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, Sharon! Those cookie leftovers would be perfect for a Frozen-themed party, if Levi was into that. If not, Danica would love some Frozen cookies for her birthday, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete