Saturday, 8 August 2015

Sharon's Week 31: The Week of Awesome!

Silhouettes

Let me just tell you why my week was so awesome:  
A.  I spent most of it in Lake Superior Park (enough said). 
B.  I am now enjoying a weekend with some awesome ladies.
C.  Tonight I get to enjoy the Stratford production of The Sound of Music!!!
D.  Yesterday a woman paid for my toll at the Bluewater Bridge because I let her in when nobody else would.
E.  Then I successfully negotiated not one but two traffic circles!
and last but best of all...
F.  After waiting on tenterhooks for two weeks for news at work that may have resulted in a radical change in my career, we got the best news yesterday and nothing has to change!!!!!

Woohoo!

Now about the silhouettes...I thought after messing up with this one last year (ending up with only semi-silhouettes), I would have no trouble but alas, I came home with more semi-silhouettes again this year.  Obviously my camera's LCD screen is much darker than the photo actually is and I need to rely on the histogram instead of the screen.  I was able to darken a couple that needed it and I did get some actual black shots so maybe I have improved in this area.  The other challenge was the lack of sun and the short supply of models.  Thankfully Levi and Maxine agreed to pose for me whenever I asked (or forced) them to so I could get a variety of different shots.

We begin with my favourite...inukshuks representing me, Levi and Maxine.  I'm not sure what it means that the next morning mine was destroyed.


This next one is a reproduction of last year's silhouette but again, it was too light.  I darkened it a bit but I think if you look closely you can still see details on Levi.  What is it about throwing rocks in water?  It's like watching fire...I can do it for hours and hours without losing interest.


Next we have a kung fu action scene, although Maxine looks a little like that actor on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air - the one with the bad dance moves.


I also tried for some daytime silhouettes...finding the right place in enough shadow with light behind it was tricky.  As I look at this I notice that the horizon is crooked...oops.


I liked the way the light shone through Maxine's red water bottle (which she brought instead of her yellow/green one to halt any debates on the colour of that bottle).  Is anybody else wanting to break out in "Climb Every Mountain" to Maria?


And a little silhouette of a hill at sunset.


I'm including this last one even though I think it's kind of an ugly picture because the sunset actually had some colour (it was the only one of  the five nights).  One of the challenges was what to put in front of the light to create a silhouette.  This night was particularly chilly and Maxine was having some pajama time in her tent while Levi was cuddled up in the hammock to stay warm.  Nobody would model for me.  There was no pretty grass or flowers to put in the foreground so I was left with the trees on the path back to our campsite.


On a final note, I miss my favourite lens!  I don't know how many times this week I missed out on photos because I didn't have my 28-200 (the one I think is out of whack although I still can't confirm it).  I'm not sure what I will do when we go to Fergus for the Highland Games and St. Jacob's tomorrow...use the lens and hope for the best or use the 18-55 and feel frustrated.  Grrr...maybe I'll have better news about that next week.

2 comments:

  1. That last shot though is one of my favorites even without any models in it. The sky is so beautiful that the trees and landscape around it, to me, are OK as is...dark and mysterious. I love the shot of the inukshuks and Levi skipping rocks in the water. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite is also the inukshuks though that sky in the last one is incredible. Levi looks like he has some super huge minion goggles on in the rock skipping picture. Maxine does resemble Carlton. That hilly silhouette is fantastic too! Great week!

    ReplyDelete