Saturday, 7 March 2015

Pam's Week 9 - Just Imagine How Much Cooler I'll Be In Summer.....

In spite of my visit to the ice caves last weekend with Sharon and my determination to somehow find a way to enjoy winter, I've spent all week pretending to be Olaf and dreaming of summer - "A drink in my hand, my snow up against the burning sand, prob'ly getting gorgeously tanned in summer..."  On Monday, the beautiful sunshine in the more moderate temperatures had me believing that perhaps spring and summer were on their way!  Those hopes were quickly dashed by the return of grey skies, another few feet of snow, and frigid temperatures before the end of the week.  My dreams of summer were clearly the inspiration behind most of my photos this week though...

Primary Colours....

This photo was actually taken after last week's visit to the ice caves.  We'd arrived home in time to receive a phone call from my husband requesting that we join him down at Hometown Hockeyville at the Bondar Pavilion.  You see, he loves community events, particularly when they involve freebies.  In spite of the fact that he could care less about hockey and really despises winter, the fact that they were giving out jerseys (to people under the age of 16, hence the phone call), toques, mittens, hot chocolate and scarves was appealing to him.  While we were there, I noticed that the box hockey contained 2 of the 3 primary colours and with Danica observing while wearing her fabulous yellow skirt, voila!


To illustrate just how not into sports my family is, Duncan had a few tickets to the NHL Alumni versus City Police hockey game on Thursday night.  It was supposed to be a boys' night but then Robert wasn't able to go so my mom and I joined Duncan and my dad at the game.  A friend of Duncan's from school sat behind us and was clearly excited about the game, chattering excitedly about Brent Gretzky being Wayne's brother.  Then the announcer began to announce a VIP who was presenting a cheque to a local girls' team and this boy leaned forward, bursting with excitement to let us know that it was Wayne Gretzky's dad they were talking about.  Duncan then turned to me and asked innocently, "Who's Wayne Gretzky?"    Perhaps I should teach him a little bit more about our National Obsession.....

I don't know if any of you recall my beginnings photo of the Amaryllis a friend had given us for Christmas?  Well, surprise of all surprises, it's beginning to bloom!  Those of you who know me are likely aware of my penchant for unintentionally killing plants.  I've even managed to kill cacti, succulents, and bamboo!  I was clearly not born with a green thumb....  I figure these blooms are reddish (and I wanted to post proof of my having kept a plant alive for once!).  Plus, blooming flowers are proof that spring will eventually come to these parts!



While trying to think of what primary colours I could locate to photograph, I remembered this beach ball so headed out to our cold garage to locate it.  I then blew it up to discover a ripped seam.  Thinking the poor beach ball looked cold and lonely, I decided to find Danica's Snow White flip flops (more primary colours) to join it.



Finally, primarily coloured fruit is appealing and colourful and reminiscent of summer as well (plus it was on sale today at the grocery store!)...



So although it is seeming ridiculous to be registering the kids for summer camps when we still have 6 foot snowbanks and -30 temperatures, looking at these pictures makes me dream of summer and sun...."I'll finally see a summer breeze blow away a winter storm, and find out what happens to solid water when it gets warm!"


5 comments:

  1. Clearly, you have watched Frozen one too many times if you can quote those random statements! I love the fruit the best. Great catch with the box hockey. Your amaryllis is beautiful and I think the deflated ball in the snow is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the song Olaf sings about summer, Sharon! I hear it on repeat every night when Danica goes to bed....she's also dreaming of sunshine and summer :)

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love the fruit shot! It really makes me believe that summer is coming! Your beach ball/flip-flop shot is very symbolic - I think it reflects exactly how we are feeling about winter right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fruit shot and the optimism that summer is coming!! It gives one hope. The flip-flop and ball photo represents so well everyone's feeling that summer may never get here this year. LOL!! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fruit and flower are beautiful shots :)

    ReplyDelete