On Monday morning on my way to work, in the dark thanks to the time change that has left me exhausted all week, the fog and lights in the hospital parking lot caused the ice on the trees to sparkle spectacularly. I immediately pictured how stunning a photo of this could be. Unfortunately, my hands were full with bags and my travel mug with my camera stuffed in my purse. I was sure I could replicate the shot I pictured on another day but it just didn't happen again. Trust me when I tell you how spectacular that picture would have looked had I been able to capture it.
On Monday evening, Sharon and I, a few of our book club friends, some other friends of mine and friends of theirs headed to the Water Tower Pub for the Sault's first PaintNite. We had great fun and painted some great pictures but I didn't think the cherry blossoms would look good in black and white so no pictures were taken that day at all.
This first photo is one I actually took quite a few years ago on my first digital camera (a whopping 2.3 megapixels). It is of 2 little boys that ended up being my accidental tour guides while I visited Burma.
I liked the loneliness of this tree and picnic table.
Unfortunately there was no one sitting on this bench, looking out at the frozen river.
The sun was setting behind these trees at the Art Gallery.
On Wednesday, I thought that maybe we could take a drive out to the windmills to take a picture. I just thought maybe there'd be some cool shadows that would look nice in black and white. By the time we got ourselves organized, however, the sun was too low to cast much of a shadow and we were worried about the potential condition of the gravel road given the milder temperatures and rutted, potholey, slushy mess the paved city streets were. Instead, Robert drove down to the locks where I took the next couple of photos.
I really liked this funky tree.
Robert pointed out the cool reflections in the puddles.
I then tried to replicate a cool photo of some forks that I saw when I googled "black and white photography ideas". Unfortunately, I wasn't happy with the way any of mine turned out. Instead, I took some more photos of my amaryllis that is blooming nicely and converted them to black and white. I also applied a yellow filter because I liked how it changed the shadows and helped bring out the details in the petals.
And that is that. Next week is self-portraits - yikes. I best be getting some beauty sleep and google some superb ideas so that I don't resemble the Mona Lisa or worse....Happy March Break to those of you on holidays next week! Let's hope the weather forecasts are wrong and the sunshine continues!

I'm singing me some AC/DC now. Love the kids in Burma. I have those same tree/bench shots at Bellevue - they appealed to me too last time I was there. My favourites are the crooked tree and the reflection one but I can't figure out where you are at the locks.
ReplyDeleteWe are down past the buildings towards the swing dam.
DeleteI really like the picture of the kids, and my second favourite is the one of the park bench. I think it is very symbolic that no one is sitting on it - everyone is waiting for the snow to melt!
ReplyDeletenostalgia for home again…I know exactly where those shots are taken. Thank you. Kind of special when you are on the other side of the world [I see the snow is going]. I love the two little boys in front of the boat .. they could probably hardly wait to see the photo!
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures. The funky tree is my favourite. Whenever I see things like that I always wonder what happened to make them grow that way.... Nice shots this week!
ReplyDeleteB&W photos are my favourites. I am a fan of your whole collection. Well done!!
ReplyDelete