1) There are 15 types of "selfies" (I will fill you in on this little known detail later in this post). I'm guessing we can thank Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian for quite a few of these.
2) Lots of amazing self-portraits were photoshopped to look so fabulous (sometimes photoshopping 2 or more photos together for amazing effects)
3) The best self-portraits involve some snazzy gear that I don't own (I think we have a tripod somewhere but I have no idea if our camera fits onto it or not)
4) There are angles that are better at diminishing lines and dark circles under the eyes and avoiding multiple chins
I could have let all that I learned deter me from attempting such feats of magic, but I did not - I persevered! I tried to mock up similar photos with my mere point and shoot with furniture that I was able to balance the camera on in order to capture a similar angle. Some were successful, some not so much. There were others I hoped to replicate but didn't have the time or the courage to attempt. I also just considered working my way through the 15 types of selfies but as I read them, I decided against it.
What are the 15 types of selfies you may ask? The "Show Me Your Good Side" selfie (what, pray tell, is my good side?), The "Bed" selfie (let's just admit that we don't all look like supermodels as we lie in bed), The "Beach Feet Brag" selfie (I considered sitting outside in the snowbank to pull this one off), The "Bathroom" selfie (you're kidding, right?), The "I Eat, Therefore I am" selfie (I don't own a lobster bib and am currently not eating anything worth bragging about), The "Gym" selfie (this would involve actually setting foot in the gym), The "I Saw a Celebrity" selfie (alas, I haven't seen a celebrity lately), The "Way Too Much Effort" collage selfie (you lost me at way too much effort), the "I Don't Give a F***, But I Do" selfie (involves being a bad-ass or at least pretending to be and I'm trying to teach my kids that being good is cool), The "Abs" selfie (I've had 2 kids and have never had a 6 pack - no one needs to see that), The "Drunk" selfie (some things are better not captured on camera for all eternity), The "I Love Fall" selfie (no coloured leaves and juicy red apples here), the "Incriminating" selfie (I am not a dumb criminal), the "Duckface" selfie (just no), and the "Selfie Parody".
Now after doing all this research, I also contemplated skipping this week's assignment altogether. I often look at pictures of moms in magazine photos with their kids and then see the lack of similar photos in our photo books and think I have to make more of an effort to get in front of the camera with them. Then I do and find I am not pleased with the results. The kids look all cute but my hair is wonky, or I have triple chins, or I'm blinking, or this angle highlights all my rolls or the list of self-criticisms is never-ending. I began to worry that if I can't be happy with myself in a picture with my kids strategically placed to cover up my insecurities, how can I be happy in a photo I take by myself of myself? I decided, though, if I am trying to teach my children to love and accept themselves then I need to model it. Thanks to Pinterest, as usual, for the inspiration and I chose to attempt the following:
I guess my booklight for my Kobo is pretty bright; I thought Robert was exaggerating...
The picture of the selfie I took with my phone; unfortunately I don't have the fur trim on my hood...
The eyes have it...See that little freckle - it's a family trait. My Grandma, Mom, Danica and I all have it.
I wasn't sure whether I liked the slightly less out of focus or the close up glass with me right out of focus. I think I like the angle of the 2nd but the focus of the 1st....
I also considered taking photos of myself doing other things I enjoy doing but putting on highheels and a fancy apron to cook dinner did not seem likely to happen in this household so this is it for this week....
All really cool shots Pam! Great ideas! And all that research you did - wow! I had no idea there were so many kinds of selfies….my favourite is the book light shot.
ReplyDeleteExcellent information! And in such an amusingly told manner. What excellent photos...I can't pick a favourite. About the wine, I think I would like it better if I was drinking it ;).
ReplyDeleteFun stuff to read!
ReplyDeleteNice research and nice shots :)
Great research. Learned tons from your post so thanks!! I was going to take a similar path for my own selfies but wasn't sure how to go about it. You have done a fabulous job. Both wine shots are fabulous.
ReplyDelete