Ten steps from the door
The topic this week and the one for next week came from a book I have called, "Creative Photography: 52 Fun Exercises for Developing Self-Expression with Your Camera." We've had some others from this book, the eyes closed one that I can recall, and there are more to follow. I am not enjoying them as much as I had hoped. I was fortunate this week that I was still at Book Club weekend on Sunday when the week began and I chose to do the assignment there since Mary's camp has beauty all around and I have weeds. Pam did hers there too so it will be interesting to see how much duplication we have.
In an effort to join the rest of the world and use Photoshop (I have been using Corel PaintShop Pro for as long as I have had editing software), especially since that is what will be used for discussion on my trip to India, I downloaded a free 30 day trial of Lightroom yesterday. Let me just say, I do not really embrace change! I played with a photo for a while and I did like the variety of adjustments that were available (but I don't know what most of them mean - what the heck is a tone curve?), then I searched for half an hour looking for a save button. Never did find one. I had to export the picture rather than save it and that was a lot of buttons to click. I think I'll have a look at the full Photoshop program as my friend says it does have a save button. Anyway, I will play with the editing software and my next step is to shoot in RAW format. Hopefully I can learn how to import and deal with those photos before I go.
So about the photos...Mary's camp (cottage) is on Wakomata Lake about 40 minutes north of Thessalon. The property is beautiful and it was perfect last weekend, with the beginnings of fall starting to show. I did take more than ten steps but I would say that I was within about 50 feet from the door for all of these photos.
About next week, the book says, "It's time to go beyond the single snapshot. In this assignment, the objective is to capture an experience by shooting a series of images. Tell a story by taking 30 shots in 30 minutes with your smartphone. Simply take a shot of what captures your interest at one minute intervals. Don't stop to think, just shoot." Chantal, I know you don't have a smartphone but I think you can get the same results with your camera on automatic. I might just use my camera too.

Great week, Sharon! I have to say I have never noticed that bird feeder (must have been beyond the 10 steps) but I do love that bike. I think the out of focus adirondack chairs and the cup of coffee on the arm of the chair with that almost bokeh-like effect behind it are my faves! We did fairly well on the no duplication front...I had taken a picture of those chairs and didn't like it so really the only double is the horseshoes! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, that coffee cup on the Adirondack chair and the leaves on the deck with the chairs in the background are fabulous. My shots are nothing compared to yours this week. I stuck to the 10 feet from my door and never thought to use someone elses door! Duh! I have a smartphone now....yes I have advanced, so all good to proceed with the initial plan.
ReplyDelete