Baby, I'll meet you at midnight...
Hand in hand we'll go, dancing through the milky way.
I could go on, but I'm pretty sure that song will be stuck in your heads now so you can finish it yourselves. This is one of those songs that makes me sing at the top of my lungs and reminds me of my childhood. When I was a kid, we had a full-size maroon Chevy van. There was an 8-track player in the front, no seatbelts in the back, and my brother and I would fight over who got to sleep on the bed in the very back on the way to Grandma and Granddad's. Since there were no DVD players or Leappads or Nintendo DS's, we would sing, read, sing, play Eye Spy, and sing some more. We had 3 8-tracks that got a lot of play on those trips to Southern Ontario - The Oakridge Boys' Greatest Hits, Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits, and Anne Murray's Greatest Hits. Once in a while, the Greatest Hits of the 50's and 60's (featuring 'The Battle of New Orleans' and 'Peggy Sue') would make an appearance. I still feel nostalgic when I hear those songs...which then makes Big Wreck's 'That Song' pop into my head....I should likely get to the point of this blog before I have all of you making mixed tapes in your head (they were the best, weren't they? I loved mixed tapes and still have some of my faves lying around).
Anyways, this week's topic was "Shadows". Thankfully I took all my photos last weekend at Science North as this week has been filled with cold, gloom, and rain but no nice, sunshiney shadows. Of course, as I look out my window typing this, I see sunshine and shadows but they've been at a premium this week. I know Sharon was going to set up some cool shadows with her flash so I'm sure she has something brilliant posted but I was going for the old-fashioned "Look at my shadow" type of shadows.
Last Saturday, after the morning's chaos at the Y, we headed to Sudbury. We'd planned to meet my cousin and her little guy at Costco for some shopping (done), dinner (done), and then Pumpkinferno at Dynamic Earth. We were then spending the night at my aunt and uncle's, had a quick visit with them over breakfast, and going to Science North on Sunday before heading home. All was well until we had a horrible experience at East Side Mario's - rude service, ended up with a 2nd waiter because our 1st was bad before we'd even placed our orders, and cold food. From there, we headed to Pumpkinferno at Dynamic Earth. On the website, it talked about an admission fee of $12.00 for members and $15.00 for non-members for the Zombie Tunnel of Terror, Dr. Dread's Show, and Pumpkinferno but also stated that the tunnel was recommended for ages 12 and up. We mistakenly assumed this meant that either there was a reduced rate if you didn't do the tunnel (which would make sense to me) or the pumpkins were free. We were sadly mistaken. Not only was there no discount for no tunnel, kids who weren't supposed to be going into the tunnel were still expected to pay full price. Not wanting to pay $70 for the 6 of us to look at some pumpkins, we only saw what you could see from the fence. Apparently you weren't supposed to be looking over the fence though as they started to come after us for that too....
On with the photos....
The first one is our family, in shadows, taken outside Dynamic Earth before we realized we weren't going to be able to see the pumpkins. We spent so long bundling up in our parkas, scarves and mitts even!
The shadow of this plane outside the 4D theatre at Science North isn't as obvious in the photo as it was live. If you look carefully on the rock you can see it though.
I'm not sure this really counts as a shadow. It's another family portrait but I think it's actually a heat sensor. I thought it was cool anyways and I wanted to count it as a shadow.
There is a shadow box in Science North that I looked high and low for to capture these next photos. I hadn't realized they would have this nice origami swan hanging in it; I was trying to figure out how to make cool shadows with my hands while taking a picture but all I had to do was turn on the coloured lights and take the picture!
On our way out, I realized the lighting was right to get Robert's shadow. He decided to make shadow animals for me. The first one is the tunnel with Robert and his shadow while the next one is just his shadow.
And there's another week been and gone. I will have to look up this coming week's assignment and perhaps the following week's as well as we're heading to Frankenmuth on Sunday for a couple of days so maybe I can get some fitting photos there.
Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween!
I love that heat sensor one but I think my favourite is the first shadow family shot. Those pumpkins look like it would have been interesting but I agree...the pricing was sucky.
ReplyDelete