I had considered taking the kids to the maze on Wednesday night which would have allowed for more daylight and it was a gorgeous evening with blue skies and sunshine. I thought it would be more fun with more people though so texted my brother to see if he and Renee would like to join us if we went Saturday. He replied that Renee has always wanted to do one but thought maybe we should watch 'Children of the Corn' first. I said she could certainly watch it but now that I'm an adult and have realized that I actually HATE horror movies and my parents were right all those years ago, I did not want to relive that, particularly since the plan was to take my children into the corn. I've since learned that she's also a wimp who hates horror movies but I still promised to credit her for the title of this blog post.
The haunted corn maze starts in a couple of weeks. I've never done it and am not sure I have the heart for it. My brother thought he'd put on the scary mask we'd found to scare the kids and I can't promise that I didn't pee my pants a little even though I was expecting it! Renee is pretty sure Danica stopped breathing when he jumped out at them and I'm shocked she didn't cry. We ran into my friend, Kathy, on our way out (she was there with her daughter and her friends but she wasn't allowed to go into the maze with them because she's embarrassing) and she thinks we should do the haunted corn maze for our games night in a couple of weeks. Sharon, Maxine - are you ladies in?
Anyways, here are some of my photos.....
The first one was taken at the sign at the entrance....
This is the old-fashioned cash register where you pay your admission.
This is one of the old buildings on the farm.
Mr. Moose was there to welcome us into the maze...
The kids were being spooky...
Unfortunately Uncle Chris has lots more practice...
Getting one of the punches at the map...
Duncan found an open ear of corn.
This was the scary mask we'd found.
This is my brother wearing the scary mask. After scaring us, he continued trying to scare other people in the maze.
The kids kept running on up ahead, which was fine until everyone abandoned me and I was left with no companions and no flashlight and a dying phone...That's when Kathy saw my kids running out of the maze and thought they were all alone (they'd actually left the maze with my cousin, Courtney, and her friend but Kathy didn't know them).
More corn stalks...
Scary family photo (too bad Daddy was at work) - does this count when we had someone else take the picture when the timer went off? Why does Danica have a great smile in the "let's be scary" picture and the weird open mouth "I'm about to eat you" smile when we're taking nice photos?
Farmer Bob - a local staple
Kathy - keeping warm by the fire and trying her best not to embarrass her daughter for at least a few minutes.
You think the fun would have ended at this point. We'd done the maze. We had lots of laughs, a few frights. We'd run into some good friends and had some nice catch-ups (okay, I see Kathy every day but it's still nice to see a friendly face). For most of the world, that would have been enough. Not for me, though. I had to make sure I entertained everyone one last time before we reached the cars and went our separate ways. Walking through the dark field, Courtney worried that I was about to step in a big old manure pile so said, "Watch your step, Pam" as I stepped into a bit of a dip, went over on my ankle and did some acrobatic manoeuvre that I'm sure is not able to be replicated, landing flat on my back right between two piles of manure. Amazingly, none ended up on me, my shoes, my clothes. As of right now, the only thing hurting is my possibly arthritic big toe on my left foot and my pride. Instead of rushing over to make sure I was okay, I heard lots of giggles and my brother running over saying, "Wait, don't move! You need another photo for your 30 photos in 30 minutes!". He pulled out his phone and started taking pictures of me splayed in the field surrounded by horse poop. Once he was sure he had a photo worthy of blackmail and knew I wasn't covered in manure myself, he offered me a hand and helped me up. Maybe my photos weren't quite what Sharon was expecting, knowing the goldmine that Farmer Bob's can be, but the memories were memorable!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Fantastic, Pam! I notice Kathy is not looking at the camera...did she actually let you take her picture? That scary mask was on the hanging guy at the entrance to the maze when I was there last week - as his head, I guess. I think the photos are all great but if I had to pick some favourites, they would be the dark house with the lights inside, Chris with the flashlight shining on his face, the kids leaving you behind in the corn and the mask on the corn with the one stalk poking through its eye - gross. Nope, not what I was expecting but great nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I too love the shot of the house with the light in the windows....very nice! It looks like you all had such a great time! Good memories to cherish and who knows when that picture of you on the ground will turn up! Memorable indeed!
ReplyDelete