things I am grateful for
This fantastic week started with the most beautiful, warm, sunny day last Sunday when we had our Thanksgiving dinner with my parents. Then on Monday, Levi and I took a scenic drive using the back roads to get to Elliot Lake and the colours and views were fantastic. This morning we had a heavy frost that was beautiful (and not the snow my sister drove through today in an effort to admire fall colours somewhere in Southern Ontario). Fall has always been my favourite season (at least until those cold, grey, rainy, windy days that hang on until the snow comes) but this year it was particularly lovely with the ongoing warm weather and the stunning colours.
I liked this assignment for the reason that it made me stop and think and appreciate the little things in life, which I think we all need to do a little bit more often. If you haven't already read it, I recommend The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. In it, the author writes short essays about ordinary things that when you really think about them, make you smile.
I read Pam's blog last night and I thought, "How the heck did she get in my brain?" We have very similar themes but luckily, very different photos. I knew this assignment was coming and I started thinking of ideas a while back. I didn't get all of my ideas put into action but some of them are here and others kind of crept in too. And like Pam, I have not put these in any particular order.
Alright, let's start with my blue jay. I know that this is not likely my weekly date from last fall and winter but I choose to believe that he is back to visit with me after a many months long break. I am grateful for Whitefish Island, an oasis in the middle of town where I can enjoy nature in all its glory.
On the topic of nature, I enjoy all of Mother Nature's small creatures and I am grateful that I live in this place where it is possible to see and photograph these little cuties pretty much any time I wish.
On another grateful note, those three photos were taken with my big lens (80-300) which I thought was broken and in need of replacement. Instead of having to buy a new big lens though, I am now awaiting the delivery of my new laptop to replace the nine year old one I am currently using.
Mother Nature is also responsible for the not-so-little creatures. On our Monday drive, this bear ran across the road in front of me and I am grateful to have had the camera sitting on the seat beside me. The bear was quite scared and unfortunately didn't pose for me but here he is anyway. You can see a bit of his muzzle at the left side of the black blob.
On my way back from my work trip to Elliot Lake this week, I took the scenic route from Bruce Mines and spotted this flock (?) of turkeys who I am sure are grateful that they are still alive and gobbling after Thanksgiving.
Okay, so I am obviously enamoured with wildlife but what else am I grateful for? My family, of course. I am no longer able to capture Levi...he knows just how to tilt his head away from the camera as he goes about his activities. This photo of me and my dad is going to have to stand in as a representation of "family".
A little less seriously, I am grateful for junk food :).
I am grateful for our pets. They give unconditional love (sometimes in the middle of the night when you don't want it), provide hours of entertainment and keep things interesting in the household.
Here are Narcissa,
Eclipse,
and Bellatrix.
No fish photos this week...the tank is too dirty.
I guess you had to know that there would be a sunrise photo this week. I am grateful for the beauty that is created by the rising sun each day.
Here is sunrise last Sunday, in the farmland of Echo Bay.
This is Monday's sunrise, taken at Kensington Point.
I am grateful to live in the midst of this beautiful country where we have four distinct seasons highlighted by the spectacular colours of fall. This was taken just after sunrise so the colours were stunning.
Oh, and here we have sunrise and fall colours together!
On another less serious note, I am grateful to have that free trial of Lightroom, without which I would not have been able to show you the colours in the sunrise and the greenery in the same photo.
I am grateful for sunny fall days.
And this last photo covers a lot of things I am grateful for...my job which currently requires me to drive long distances each week, those drives which provide such beautiful scenery, the fact that I love driving, the weather which gives us such variety in life and my love of photography which ties it all together.
That's it for me. I was not able to think of a photo that depicted my health and I did not have the opportunity to photograph any friends, both things I am extremely grateful for. I wanted Levi separately from family as I am so grateful to be a mother, which still sounds weird to say but has taught me so many things, but like I said, he was not available for photographs.
Happy weekend everyone.













No comments:
Post a Comment