shadows
I procrastinated again this week and when there was time in my day, there was no sun in my day so this assignment got left until the last possible minute. After a crazy, busy and embarrassing week and not much sun to be had, I resorted yesterday to the tripod and flash. The crazy, busy part involved a few late days at work, running around trying to get this new laptop all set up, pre-packing my suitcase to make sure I can keep it under 33lbs and attending an amazing literary evening with Joseph Boyden, Ann-Marie McDonald, Lynden MacIntyre, Albert Shultz, a young spoken word poet from Toronto named Mustafa Ahmed and Valerie Pringle. The embarrassing part involved me driving away from a school at recess with 300 kids staring at me because my car alarm was blaring, followed by other drivers on McNabb St. staring at me because my car alarm was blaring. It was also slightly embarrassing to realize that these amazingly creative people were going to sit with us at our tables and I hadn't studied! It was just like that dream...you know, the one where you show up for an exam but haven't got a clue about the subject.
Using the tripod and flash this week was probably a good thing as I haven't used either for a while and I should re-familiarize myself with their functions before my trip. So yesterday afternoon saw me scrambling around the house looking for things with which to make shadows. Sadly, I came up with very few but I promise to do better next week...I already got started.
Here is the shadow of some forks.
Last week, Levi helped out his Big Brother at a garage sale and he came away with an ancient metal steamer. He said it would make a good candle holder and when I told him that this week's topic was shadows, he showed me the lovely shadows created by his new purchase.
When I dropped off one of the volunteers at the cat shelter the other night, I noticed how the wrought iron railing was creating a shadow on a pumpkin on the porch. I bought a pumpkin yesterday and thought I'd create a Halloween image by cutting out the shape of a cat head. The idea was better than the execution. I couldn't figure out how to stop the double image effect in the shadow but I am including the photo anyway because I have so few.
These weights created shadows that remind me of gravestones, especially with the faint shadow of the hooks that look like they might be crosses. I played around with the flash trying to get the shadows to stand up straight but they were having nothing to do with that...they insisted on spreading out.
Finally we have a whisk. I think I like this one best.
This is a cheater for sure...Bella looks like the shadow of Cissy.
And of course the sun came out today and I saw shadows everywhere!
One more thing...this is Cricket. She was found in my sister's friend's backyard last weekend and the vet said she was about 3 1/2 or 4 weeks old. She has a forever home now with Anne. Isn't she adorable?







I think the colander was my favourite but they're all pretty great, Sharon! Good work in spite of the procrastination!
ReplyDelete