This week, we were to photograph things we are grateful for. The first title that popped into my mind was The Grateful Dead, but that somehow seemed inappropriate given that I'm rather grateful for life. I tried to rack my brain (and the internet) to find song lyrics containing the word "grateful" but I couldn't find anything. Alanis Morrisette and Dido came to mind for "thank you" but somehow thanking consequence and disillusionment also didn't work and since I haven't had the "best day of my life" this week, then Dido got the boot as well.
The topic is certainly appropriate given that Thanksgiving was the beginning of this week. Even though I realize we should always take the time to count our blessings, Thanksgiving is the time that most of us really spend time thinking about the things we have to be thankful for. So many of the things I am thankful for are not easily photographed, but here are a few of mine...Please note that they are in no particular order.
I am grateful for my children. They drive me absolutely bonkers at times but I cannot imagine my life without them. They make me laugh, they make me cry. They are convinced that I can do absolutely anything though I no longer seem to be all-knowing. They challenge me to be a better person and a better mother every single day.
I am grateful for my husband. I couldn't do it without him. He's my partner in crime. His smile lights up the room. He's a big kid and a little goofy too.
I am grateful for nature in all its splendour. I am thankful that we live in a place where we are surrounded by fresh air, lakes, forests, wild animals. I am thankful we don't live in a concrete jungle.
I am grateful for my family. They've made me who I am. My parents have set an amazing example of love, kindness, inclusiveness. I am proud to call my brother my friend; we didn't always like each other but we've always stuck up for each other.
I am grateful my brother has found a woman who loves him, respects him, treats him the way he deserves to be treated, and makes him laugh.
Although I have absolutely no idea who I am going to vote for on Monday, I am grateful I live in a country where I have the right to vote. I can vote without fear of violence. I can vote even though I am a woman. I can vote and then complain about what the government is or is not doing without recrimination.
I am also grateful for the health of myself and my family. So many people close to me have not been so lucky as of late. I am grateful for my friends and family near and far; I am not good at keeping in touch but you are always close to my heart and my thoughts. I am grateful for the work I do - the politics of the workplace leave something to be desired and I could do without the drama, but I love making a difference in the lives of the people I work with.
I am not grateful for the snow that fell today. I was very grateful for the amazing weather we had last Sunday afternoon. I am grateful that we are heading to Sudbury tomorrow to have some time together as a family, to have fun and make more memories to be grateful for.
Thank you to all who are a part of my life. For you, I am grateful.
Your election signs remind me that I am grateful that the freaking campaign is almost over! Apart from that, we have almost the same gratefuls :). I love all the family photos and although both of the first pictures of the kids are great, I particularly like Danica's because she has her natural smile. Lovely words too. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete