Okay, I realize that the title doesn't actually capture this week's assignment, however, the object I chose to photograph on different surfaces was a tiny silk bear sent to us by Kana, a Japanese exchange student we'd hosted a few summers ago. Since "domo arigato" means "thank you very much", I thought maybe that would be an appropriate title this week. It has also been a few weeks since I've included a song lyric and well, frankly, that makes me sad.
This past week at work was better than the last few, if only because I've accepted the fact that I have to wear armour on my back and be extra vigilant about what I say or do for fear there is any way it can be misconstrued. Personally, however, there has been more unnecessary stress. A very good friend of mine received devastating news this week and I am a million miles away and can't do anything to help or make it feel better. Those of you that know me likely also know that I don't like to feel helpless nor do I like to see those I love and hold dear to my heart frightened or hurting. To top that off, we are thankful that Robert's sisters and niece are safe but were terrified to learn that one of the car bombs detonated in hotel parking lots in Baghdad this week were set off in the parking lot of the hotel in which they work. My sister-in-law, Rowena, was working the front desk that evening so witnessed much of the chaos and I can only imagine how traumatic that would be.
Even though I've gotten more sleep and tried to avoid letting the negativity consume my every thought, my picture taking wasn't very productive or creative this week. Sharon had suggested that I find a small object I could take with me, hence the little bear. I even had it in my purse all week, and there it stayed for the most part. Whoops.
Duncan goes to Cubs on Tuesday nights. I happened to notice this beautiful lilac tree in the school yard while dropping him off so decided to stick our little bear into the tree for a photo. Unfortunately, our little bear doesn't have very good balance, especially on a wet, slippery branch so attempts to capture this shot were limited.
Later in the week, realizing I hadn't taken another shot yet, I thought maybe the little bear should come out of my purse and help me chart. Please ignore the dust on my keyboard.
On Saturday night, I took Duncan to a birthday party (lego-themed) at this party place in town and thought the bear needed to sit in the cowboy hat. The lighting wasn't great for the shot but at least it was another picture!
Anyone who read my blog contributions last year likely remembers our little Robin family. Well, they haven't returned this year but short of destroying my wreath, we weren't sure how to remove the nest so it remains. I decided maybe the little bear should have a seat. The problem is that the nest ends up being above my eye level, I'm afraid of heights so didn't feel comfortable climbing on our wall and leaning in for the perfect shot and I just couldn't get the lighting right.
And that's it for last week! I've already started on this week's photos, thanks to Sharon as usual, and I'm quite excited for a couple of them too. Let's hope this momentum continues again!
That bear is adorable. Great ideas, Pam. I like the way your pictures are all different rather than like mine...all framed the same. The nest was a genius idea.
ReplyDeleteI agree, that bear is adorable! I love the one taken in the lilac tree best and then the one in the nest.
ReplyDelete