Work the Subject
My title this week comes from a silly rule that I found out about two years ago...you need a permit to photograph Parks Canada property. ??? I was photographing the Superintendent's Residence for an assignment for one of my online courses when a Parks Canada truck drove up to me. The dude got out of the vehicle, wandered over to me and asked if I had a permit. I stared at him then laughed, thinking he was joking. Nope, no joke, you need a permit. The administration building is beautiful and it was my first idea for this subject so I decided to take my chances and try again. I did wait until I thought the staff would be gone for the day but I was wrong about that. Fortunately, those staff did not care that I was pointing my camera in their window. Anyway, I got away with it this time.
On a personal note, I survived my week without Levi. He was in Ottawa and Quebec City with his grade eight graduating class. Thank goodness for kittens.
The assignment "work the subject" comes from every course I've taken and every book I have read about photography...take the obvious shot but then move...get closer and closer still, look up, look down, get the details, etcetera. I certainly worked the subject this week. I did three subjects...this one that you will see, the aboriginal structures on the island and Farmer Bob's. When I put the photos on the computer, there were 255 shots to look through. No, I am not going to show you all of them, I have chosen just a few.
The administration building at the Locks/Whitefish Island is the first thing you see as you get out of your car in the parking lot. I think it is beautiful.
The establishing shot needs to be credited to Maxine. She took a similar one last year with her phone and I loved it so much I tried to reproduce it.
Thanks to this sign, I know what the building is actually for.
Oh look, a reflection of our bridge.
Looking up...
So pretty.
It really is too bad that the park behind this wheel is rarely used except for by the geese.
A stately view.
I did do close ups of the wrought iron up there but I liked this shot with the flag in it. Canada Day is coming soon, you know.
That's it for me. I am just going to add two of my favourite shots from Farmer Bob's.
And a couple from on Whitefish Island.

Beautiful shots, Sharon! I had no idea you needed a permit to photograph Parks Canada buildings - what do tourists do? I take pics of those buildings all the time...Perhaps I look more like an amateur than you and they forgive me or perhaps the first man was just a dink....Anyways - gorgeous pics!
ReplyDeleteJust brilliant! I love the window shot with the reflection as well as dandelion shot best but they are all wonderful. I am glad as well that you too the shots of the buildings as they are beautiful! Great week!
ReplyDelete