Saturday, 6 June 2015

Pam's Week 22: Why was 6 Afraid of 7?

Because 7 ate 9!  Bahahaha.  Sorry.  I know it's not really a funny joke but it's sort of cute, isn't it?  And it actually is the lyric to a song if you're familiar with the Barenaked Ladies kids' album pre-Steven Page's drug bust.

Anyways, I started out this week on a photography high.  Prior to our bookclub meeting on Monday night, Sharon picked me up to head to Bellevue Park on a numbers hunt.  It was like they were screaming at me!  I was finding 7's and 8's everywhere.  The other numbers, however, were a little harder to come by.  I assumed I would head out a few more times and get them all, especially since I've had my eye on a nice "0" on Whitefish Island for over a year now.  (A quick peek at Sharon's blog post makes me glad I didn't attempt to go find my "0" as clearly she found a similar one and was more adept at making it look nice than I would have been as is apparent in my "8").  Needless to say, the days got busier and busier as the week went on and I had no time whatsoever to take another photo.

Things at work, though not better or worse, are basically at a standstill for the time being. It's still in the back of my mind causing me undue stress, but at least I am sleeping most nights and able to think of other things and refrain from crying daily.  I am thankful for this for a lot of reasons, the biggest one this week being that I really would not have made it through all the crazy busy-ness if my thoughts were otherwise consumed.

I suppose I should begin posting my photos though, shouldn't I?  I might start with my favourites and work backwards for something different.  This will also allow the one that shows up on facebook to be the nicest.

This was honestly an accidental discovery.  I had been looking at the wilting tulips, hoping to find some with the still perky petals and the wilted ones somehow forming an '8'.  That didn't happen, but after trying to find a different '8' in the flowers, I discovered this beauty.

Yet again, Sharon and I were looking at the park benches, determined to find a number somewhere when I glanced down and realized the shadow of the bench legs were creating a '3'.  This ended up actually being from the benches we later found closer to the waterfront as I liked the angle a bit better.

While walking towards the duckpond with Sharon examining all the tree roots for hidden numbers, I noticed the knots on this tree made a perfect '8'!

I couldn't get these completely lined up but the handles on the playground equipment definitely form a '9'.

Sharon was none too happy with me when I found this perfect little '5' hidden in the tree roots near the water!  Apparently it was one of the numbers she was struggling to find.

I also found a nice little '7' there.  I just wish this photo was a little more colourful; it seems sort of drab to me.

This seemed like a brilliant idea but I am not thrilled with the execution.  I like the colours but I should have looked for ones surrounded by more greenery instead of the ground.

This picture isn't fantastic, but I noticed these pipes on the front of the bandstand stage and figured they looked like an '8'.  As I tried to get the picture, however I began to have visions of some sort of creature poking its head out and scaring me to death.  You laugh but while living in Singapore, my friend and I visited old army barracks and in the drain in the floor, lo and behold, there was the head of a scary and venomous snake.  This came to mind at this time. No one needs to see a grown up woman running through the park screaming as her friend lags behind giggling (at least I assume that's what Sharon would have been doing).

Now I know Sharon is expecting to see a number '4' as she kindly pointed out a perfectly shaped but reversed one.  After I took it, someone stopped us and Sharon turned on the charm when she thought we were trespassing on the yacht club property.  This gentleman simply wanted to see if we were interested in joining.  I don't know about Sharon but I haven't been in a sailboat since our Grade  7 trip to John Island.  All I remember is discovering why it's called a boom as one of my classmates didn't duck as instructed... Anyways, he kindly told us all about the '4' I was photographing and about jibs and booms and rigging and the like.  My dementia, of course prevents me from remembering the details and my photo software doesn't reverse after all so no '4' for you!

That's it for this week.  Hopefully the sunshine becomes a regular occurrence, things begin to go my way, and my brain is just overflowing with ideas for next week's photos!  Have a good one everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that 7 is gorgeous! I covet that 5 too. The rest are awesome too...I had forgotten that you found so many that night. Send me the 4...I can flip it for you and send it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 3 though! I love it. I also love the 8 in the tree trunk and yeah, very envious of the 5 because it was so hard to find! Great work, I love that you are able to do this together. Such a drab sometimes heading out on my own. Great week Pam!

    ReplyDelete