Please no blaming Mr. Bobinski for any mislabelling of geometric shapes..... it is not his fault that geometry is pretty much Greek to me. He tried to instill a love of this math concept in me, but not even hot fudge and chocolate sprinkles can make geometry palatable to me.
As with most math, just when you think you never have to worry about it again, it comes back to prove you wrong. I tried my best. Some of the photo's may not be quite geometric... some might not be so grey, the point is I completed this assignment even though the thought of it chapped my asterisks!
Parallel Semi-circlish
Plethora of Squares
Linear Cylinder Wannabes
Honeycombs- (Because Lord knows I am not going to label this wrong)
Sadly I do not even want to hazard a guess as to the name of this geometric shape. Last year I walked in to a class and was asked a geometry question by one of the students. I almost fled. Instead I copied down the question and Googled it when I got back to work.... no way is a Grade 2 student is going to one up me on a math question? Unfortunately I seem to have forgotten everything I Googled.
I just couldn't leave it alone. I Googled again. I can say with certainty that it is a collection of pentagons.... look at me mastering Geometry at the ripe old age of 40 something-something.
M I C K E Y
Finally some Geometry I can get behind. Thanks Mickey to coming to my rescue and for closing out this debacle of an assignment.


Oh, Maxine, I am sorry to say that most of them are hexagons...just the three little ones are pentagons. :) Even though I have no clue what it is, I love the first one best, quickly followed by the one that looks like a really wide fork. Great ideas and execution (although not so great counting of sides) as always.
ReplyDeleteStupid math! It amazes me that you can look at and handle something for so long and not realize there are differences in it. I initially was going to put down hexagon, but then clearly saw... And counted the sides of a pentagon x5. As I thought the ball only had one shape in it, i concluded it must be hexagons. Cest la vie. See kids you can get a great job and graduate University with only passable geometry skills. There is hope.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures, every single one!
ReplyDeleteThe first one is my favourite - love it! Also the blocks are such a great idea!
ReplyDeleteThis is a fantastic week! I, too, hate math yet I graduated from University as well! 2 different ones even (and attended 2 others). I agree with Karen - love the first one and think the blocks are brilliant. Of course, I also enjoy the Mickey ones. If it makes you feel better, I also thought it was a bunch of pentagons (at least I took your word for it) until Sharon went and spoiled our geometric success!
ReplyDelete