Monday, 28 September 2015

Pam's Week 37: The Texture Test

Yes, yes, yes, I know.  I am very, very late again with my post.  You see, I suffer from texture aversions.  I am certainly not averse to all textures - I love the feel of soft fleece, cashmere, baby soft skin.  I hate the texture of bananas and jello.

I don't know how I felt about jello as a child; jello cubes covered in whipped cream always look so delightful and fun.  My jello aversion as an adult may stem from my horrible hospital jello experience when I had my tonsils out at the age of 21.  Following my tonsillectomy, they served me what seemed like plate after plate of jello.  The one I remember clearly is the one that was obviously the scrapings from the bottoms and edges of multiple bowls - they served me bits of orange, yellow, red, and green jello.  After eating it, I promptly threw it up (another thing I have a huge aversion too).  Since then, the only jello I've attempted to consume is that otherwise known as "jello shots" and even then, it was a struggle.

At one of our bookclub weekends about 15 years ago, we stepped upon some soft, squishy, mossy ground while walking.  I was very uncomfortable with it, as was my friend, Carla, who also hates jello.  This prompted us to quickly create a scientific exploration with the hypothesis that those who hate jello would also hate walking on the moss.  I can't remember what the ANOVA or t-test showed, but I do believe we proved our hypothesis correct!  Coincidence?  I think not....

Why do I share this information?  My plan for this week was to replicate the experiment and take photos of jello and moss.  The problem - I didn't really want to make jello that would be thrown out and I didn't discover any moss.  The next couple of pictures, then, are my rather pathetic attempt, thanks to Sharon's encouragement, to at least post something for this week....

 Recycled tin foil that Sharon is using to cover her yummy lasagna rolls...

 Fungus on a tree stump - this photo was actually taken for the "10 steps from my door" this weekend but Sharon pointed out that it's also a neat texture.

More fungus...

And that's that...

2 comments:

  1. Love the fungus on the tree pictures and I love the texture or design on the tin foil too! I love jello and I never make it at home so it is ok that the hospital serves it. I especially love jello when it is made to set hard....I don't like runny jello....but we have one thing in common....I hate throwing up and will do just about anything not to. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to say that that second fungus shot kinda looks like throw up! But I guess it certainly shows texture. I think the tin foil turned out great with your sweater reflected in the bumps.

    ReplyDelete