Backlight
I am amazed at some people's generosity. I just got back from helping out at a book sale at the mall which was a fundraiser for Levi's grade eight trip. All of the books were donated by school staff and families and it took eight vehicles packed in all the nooks and crannies to get the books to the mall. Some shoppers were upset with our prices (I too thought that they were too high) but others, knowing that it was a fundraiser for the kids, gave extra and when I offered to negotiate, some wanted to pay full price anyway. Today, we made $900 and there is still tomorrow to go.
As for the photography, this was another last minute type of week...I didn't get my camera out until Friday. At this rate next week it won't come out until Saturday. I had better get on that procrastination problem. Maybe next week :). To give me some credit, not all of the delay was my fault. For backlight, I needed the sun and the sun was not particularly cooperative at backlight times of day. Apparently I missed a gorgeous sunset on Tuesday night but since it was bone chillingly cold that evening, I don't feel too bad about it...I wouldn't have been able to stick around long enough to do much as the sun went down. I was off yesterday so I decided to take advantage of the early morning light. I didn't make it out for sunrise (I was up but I am a bit chicken and didn't want to be at Whitefish Island by myself at that time of day), but there was still lots of lovely low angled light to play with. All of my photos this week were taken there except one which was taken at Bellevue Park and they were all done yesterday morning.
Oh, I forgot about this first one...a frosty morning in my yard. This plant was put in as a groundcover many years ago. I can't remember what it is called but I don't recommend it. I'm not sure if you can tell, but it is no longer in my garden...it has overtaken the grass.
There was still a bit of frost at the island when I got there so I got my macro lens back out and took these...
You have to look carefully to see the frost at the top.
The frost is hiding in the rim lighting in this one but I know it is there.
So on I continued looking for backlit leaves, flowers, birds, anything really.
The sun was constantly rising, making it more difficult but the burrs surrounded by the spiderweb caught my eye.
I really like when the leaves are see-through.
You can't even imagine the abundance of forget-me-nots there this year. I wandered through them and tried different things but I was losing the light. I settled for this shot because of all of the backlit hairs on the stem.
In honour of my dad (who loves dandelions), I picked this particularly interesting looking one and tried to get the light and the forget-me-nots behind it.
I just couldn't get this one to work this year. Last year I got a fantastic shot like this with the starburst sun peeking out from behind one of the tulips. Yesterday didn't cooperate and I don't love this one but I am including it anyway as it is something different from the rest of the shots.
That's it for me. Have a great weekend.




My favorite shot is the one with the spider web on it. Such a great shot. I also love the dandelion shot. Gorgeous! The frost on the second shot. Great work Sharon!
ReplyDeleteHow to pick a favourite, Sharon? I like the spider web one too and the first dandelion is stunning. I also really like the angle on the tulips and there is something about that first frosty ground cover shot that speaks to me...Great week!
ReplyDelete