Saturday, 2 May 2015

Pam's Week 17: I Don't Wanna Close My Eyes....

Aerosmith summed up my thoughts on this week perfectly.....You'd think closing your eyes to take 20 photos would take some of the pressure off.  I mean, at least you'd have an excuse for blurry or bizarrely composed photographs.  It was tough though.  20 pictures is a lot and like Sharon already mentioned, there isn't a lot of colour or architecture or anything equally exciting for us to photograph in Sault Ste. Marie in April at the end of an extraordinarily long and cold winter.  We tried.....

I headed out with Sharon a couple of times this week with the quest of finding something photogenic, or rather, 20 picture-worthy.  We headed to the waterfront downtown and at Pointe Des Chenes.  Somehow we found both evenings rather chilly in spite of beautiful sunny days this week.  In fact, I'm rather surprised I still have all my fingers and toes after our sunset trek to Pointe Des Chenes.  Of course, the fact that I was sporting capris, sandals, short sleeves under a light jacket and no mittens was probably as much to blame as the arctic chill coming off the ice still on the lake.  I also contemplated going to a spot under the bridge near the locks where the swing dam could have offered extra colour and some geometric angles but it just didn't happen.

The first two photos were taken at City Hall.  I should mention that I hadn't realized that we could attempt to zoom in and out while our eyes remained closed in order to offer different perspectives.  Sharon pointed that out to me later when we were at the Bondar Pavilion.  I also have to admit that I cropped the first picture slightly so as to cut out the glaring sun's reflections off the edges of the photo.  Like Sharon, many of my photos were of blurry grass, blank sky, and/or completely out of focus.  I did intentionally turn and rotate the camera in an unsuccessful attempt to capture a view I wouldn't have considered with my eyes open.  There was a reason I wouldn't have considered those angles....




We then headed over to the Bondar Pavilion where I was able to capture a few shots I liked inside as well as outside.


 I liked the way the shadow of the second peak reflected off the tent in this photo.


 I kind of liked the reflection of the bridge off the window in this one.



And here's a picture of my reflection on the sidewalk.

Finally, we headed out to Point Des Chenes where I captured a few more photos I didn't hate.


 Here's a shadow of me again as I take closed eye photos...

 You can't tell in this photo, but we later discovered snow down on that beach and there is still ice on that water.



I think from now on I may try to keep my eyes open for pictures.  I figure I attempted this 6 times, which means I took 120 photos to find these few decent ones....That's not very good odds, I don't think.  And I have to agree with Sharon that I don't feel I discovered anything new.  Maybe it would be a better assignment in the summer or fall when there would be colour to enhance the photos.  Maybe it would be better if I wasn't a klutz and felt I could wander a bit while taking the eye closed photos without fear of ending up in frigid waters; spinning around in a circle while standing, squatting and moving arms above head and turning at odd angles just didn't do it for me.  I'm curious to see everyone else's photos though.

Let's hope next week is more fun!


2 comments:

  1. I think we were certainly saved by the evening light considering the brown state of affairs right now. You got a lot of great shots, Pam. My favourite is the one looking out of the pavilion with the trees behind it. I also liked the shadow...looks like a giant cat ready to attack. Your first sunset at Point Des Chenes is my favourite of those shots but the light and shadows in all of them are eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you got a lot of nice shots. I love the pattern in the second Pondar Pavillion shot and the last beach shot. The picture of the two benches is one of my favorites too. Makes me want to go and sit for awhile. Not an easy assignment and yet you made it look effortless.

    ReplyDelete