architectural lines and curves
When I planned this topic (and yes, Pam, it was done on purpose to coincide with my trip), I made a little error. We didn't visit the Taj Mahal until Sunday and week 45 ended on the Saturday. I know, I know, it's my project and I can do what I like but I can't seem to break that rule of mine. I am sure that I will find a way to fit the Taj into the next blog.
The week began with last minute packing followed by the 24 hour transit to Delhi then three glorious days in Varanasi. Those three glorious days were unfortunately followed by the "dreaded lurgy" (what Cheryl on the tour calls that lamentable travel condition) and missing out on a few photographic opportunities. We travelled to Agra on Saturday and had a short time at the Agra Fort. I sat with some boys from Lucknow while the group toured the palaces (see above re: lurgy) and had my photo taken with and by strangers apparently because I am white. I then sat with a couple who kept speaking to me in Hindi despite me repeatedly saying, "English, no Hindi." I think that they continue to believe that I have 14 children rather than one 14 year old.
What stood out for me most about the architecture throughout my trip was that everything was so old. Canada is such a new country compared to many places in the world so it was a constant surprise seeing such old (some falling down and some well-preserved) and beautiful buildings.
I have to say that the project topic was not in the forefront of my mind during the week so I just went through the photos and tried to pick out some shots in which the architecture stands out.
We'll start with some scenes from our boat on the Ganges.
The Durga Temple (Durga is the goddess of victory of good over evil):
This is part of a South India style temple - much more intricately carved and colourful:
The ancient Buddhist Site of Sarnath - it's said to be the place where Buddha made his first sermon after reaching enlightenment.
And this is a stupa (evolved from burial mounds and serving as a shrine for a relic of Buddha).
We then headed to Agra where we visited the Agra Fort.












Great pics, Sharon. The architecture is incredible and the colours are spectacular. Very, very cool. Great week!
ReplyDelete