I know Sharon was pretty bummed to learn that Rotaryfest ended on Saturday which meant that she technically couldn't use those photos for "Street Photography" since she is so rule-abiding and all. I would have gone ahead and used those photos myself except that we visited Mackinaw Island yesterday which provided plenty of opportunity for some street photography.
This past weekend, my brother, his girlfriend, and a couple of other friends went to Green Bay to watch Brett Favre's induction into the Packers Hall of Fame and to see them retire his jersey. On their way back home, they stopped at my parents' for the night. Another couple who were on a motorcycle ride around Lake Huron met them there. On Monday, all 12 of us went to Mackinaw Island. If you're unfamiliar with the Island, no motorized vehicles are allowed except for a single ambulance. To get around the island, you ride bikes, walk, ride a horse or take a carriage ride. There are only about 300-500 year-round residents (depending upon which tour guide you ask) though the place is inundated with tourists during the summer months. There is a Fort on the island, which we didn't visit, Michigan's first state park, and fudge shops galore. The Grand Hotel costs you $10 just to enter if you aren't a guest and if you are a guest, be prepared to drop $900 U.S. per night (for 2 people).
Anyways, my mom really wanted to bike the island. Most of our group, myself included, hadn't ridden a bike in 15-20 years. We decided we would all be able to manage the 8.2 mile ride, though, so we rented bikes and headed on our merry way. Before we ended up out of the downtown area, I wasn't convinced this was such a good idea. By lunchtime, however, we'd ridden the 3.5 miles into the wind (and most likely on a gradual incline which we didn't realize until later) to the British Landing and were feeling rather accomplished. Afterwards, we completed the remainder of the route much easier (except for the death-defying curvy hill) and with more frequent photo stops. My parents and a couple of my brother's friends rented tandem bikes (I forgot to ask my Dad if my Mom kept up her share of the peddling though as apparently they'd ridden a tandem bike when my Mom was pregnant with me but she just sat on the back and coasted while my Dad did all the work). Danica was on a tagalong behind Robert and Duncan managed his bike on his own. We were quite proud of ourselves when we returned the bikes a couple of hours later and I think the bike shop was impressed that we weren't all covered in bruises and blood!
After the bike ride around the perimeter of the island, we took a carriage tour of the interior. It took us past the Grand Hotel, the Governor's Summer House, through the State Park, past the Fort and past some other historical landmarks. It dropped us off to tour the Wings of Mackinaw, which provided a few of last post's bug shots, and the Grand Hotel Stables. We also took that opportunity to purchase some fudge as it was a better deal than at the downtown shops. We then boarded a larger carriage for the return trip. Renee, my brother's girlfriend, picked some wild raspberries along the road for Duncan while we were letting the horses rest. Later, we discovered that he can tell the difference between purified water and spring water when we tried to trick him (and got scolded for laughing too loudly when the tour guide was providing some historical info to the group).
I guess I was supposed to be posting pictures instead of rambling, though, so here are my "street photography" shots...
No one said it had to be a busy street....This is Robert and Danica (and Duncan up ahead if you look closely) riding along M-185.
A view of the people and bikes along Main Street.
A little blurry but still pretty - a carriage riding along Mackinaw Island's original Main Street.
Apparently they don't have bicycle valets at the Grand Hotel.
The entrance to the Fort
Bikes and horses along Main Street
I have no idea what next week's photo assignment is but now I can relax for the rest of the week and worry about it on the weekend! Plus my parents have the kids camping at Jellystone Park this week so I can really relax! Have a great week everyone!
The abundance of bikes is just amazing, isn't it? Did you see any luggage carriers loaded down with suitcases? That's what I remember most about my visit last year. I love the guy who looks like he is trapped in all the bikes, the carriage back end, the fort entrance and the bikes and horses on Main street.
ReplyDeleteWow great pictures. I have never heard of this island so it is great to see it through your pictures! I love the carriage back end and the bikes and horses on Main street. Great shots!
ReplyDelete